Friday, February 26, 2010

Crumbs, Crumbs, Crumbs, Crumbs


So after spending five months living in New York and working in the beyond fabulous Chelsea Market, I think I'm able to make a few shallow comparisons between some staple New York and Chicago foods. However, that will be a later post. For now, I'm going to verbally drool over one of the sweet, sugary treats that I miss more than anything else from the New York food scene: Crumbs Bake Shop cupcakes.

If you're not in the New York, New Jersey, Connecticut or California area, you're not going to have the divine pleasure of walking into a Crumbs store to behold the Mecca of Cupcakes. I tried Magnolia cupcakes (featured in Sex and the City), but I found the selection was lacking compared to Crumbs'. Seriously, this place has EVERYTHING. Everything you loved to eat as a kid has been transformed into gigantic, work-of-art cupcakes. And I mean it, these things are huge; I always end up saving half for the next day, which is not an attempt at being health-conscious or demure. I just physically cannot eat the whole thing in one sitting.

My favorite is the Candy cupcake: soft, fresh vanilla cake filled and topped with sugary, light vanilla icing and covered with mini M&M's. A-mazing. Truly, I had a cupcake epiphany when I first tried this. We were at work and some mentioned there was a tray of mini cupcakes for everyone to try. When I saw them, they looked pretty but I assumed they'd be the same as the mini cupcakes I could get from the grocery store and figured I'd save the calories for a brownie at lunch (which was quickly becoming a tasty and fattening daily habit). But I tried one. And I finished it. And I quickly began wondering when I could get another. I had NEVER had a cupcake like this before and I urge you, if you're ever in NYC, find one of their 15 locations and splurge on one of these $4 baked pieces of heaven. They also ship across the continental U.S., but you should really try one fresh if you're going to pop your Crumbs cherry.

Seriously. GO.
http://www.crumbs.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment